BREAKING NEWS: Have you heard the controversial message from Instagram?
The top dog of Insta, Adam Mosseri has made a shock announcement to transform into an entertainment-focused app.
Leaving behind the square photo-sharing app that they are famous for.
What Changes Will Be Made?
The new focus will be on;
- Creators- The rising power of Influencers is reflected here, due to the shift in power from corporations to individuals across industries.
- Video- Users want to be entertained in a short amount of time, otherwise they will click off. This is shown in the increase of short videos across all major platforms- Tik Tok + Youtube.
- Shopping- The Corona Virus has accelerated the shift of commerce from offline to online (especially with all the online shopping we are doing…)
- Messaging- “moving away from feed and stories to direct communication.”
Instagram Update Backlash
With any new update, there is always going to be criticism.
However, as a business you know it is important to take feedback into consideration.
The backlash can be categorised into 3 parts:
- ‘We only use Instagram to share pictures.’
“Honestly Instagram is finna be its own downfall if it takes away pictures. That’s what most people use this app for ??♀️”
“NONE OF US WANT THIS FROM INSTAGRAM!”
2. ‘Stop copying video platforms.’
“We got this app to share photos. I already have Snapchat and TikTok. We don’t need Instagram turning into them.”
“You were original but now you’re going down as a copy.?”
3. ‘What about photo-based content creators?’
“This is a terrible decision. Not all art can be translated through video. What about photographers, designers, and models? And those aspiring? What about those with disabilities like myself who have immense difficulty producing and editing videos?”
“No, but how will the creators of images like photography do? The drawing? Which are better visible in the image? Are you going to condemn us for wanting to compete with TikTok? It’s not just any type of designer that needs to have more visibility.”
Instagram Update Rebuttal
It is important to consider the whole picture in this situation.
- Research: Instagram polled why people were on Instagram, and the most popular answer was to be entertained. Therefore Instagram took that into consideration to lean into the entertainment trend and what does that entail? Video focus.
- Competition: It is very important for a Social Media app to stay relevant so they don’t get left behind by their competitors. In order to not lose their place in the social media game, they followed the Tik Tok and Youtube video focus to stay up to date.
- Benefits: Although this may disadvantage some, it will benefit the new workforce of content creators. Influencers will now be supported to make a living and given a boost to showcase their work online. Not to mention the ability to shop easier with the shift to eCommerce AND direct messaging!
Will This Affect My Business?
- Yes, instead of focusing on visually pleasing photo’s, you need to adapt to a video-focused interface.
- It is now more important than ever to build relationships with creators.
- Important to improve your online presence due to this shift of Ecommerce.
- Need to upgrade messaging due to this new focus of communication.
How to Use this To Your Advantage
- Create engaging reels
- Follow and post trends
- Partner with creators
- Improve your website
- Sell Online
- Curate an automatic messaging feature
The Impact on Digital Marketing
- This Instagram update reflects the new digital marketing age of powerful Influencers.
- Clients will need to invest more in good video content to be seen and remain relevant.
- Reflects shorter attention spans and how photos don’t get the audience’s attention anymore.
- The shift from Commerce to E-Commerce
When Will This Instagram Update Go Ahead
A couple of months is the time frame to start seeing these new updates, like a recommendation feed for example.
This could go either way for Instagram, their users will either embrace the new features and learn to love them… Or most likely be boycotted like they are discussing in the comment section and fail.
“We’re all leaving you Instagram. It’s tough, but we’re leaving.”
“I don’t know about you guys, but I won’t be using Walmart Tik Tok.”
However, it will be interesting to see whether they listen to their predominantly negative user comments.
Whether you are for or against their update, you do have to give props to Instagram for trying something this risky, to try and stay relevant.
Whether it’s a good or a bad decision we’ll just have to wait and see….
What Do You Think
Get in touch and let us know what you think.
Collabrium is proud to provide you with the latest updates that will affect your business.